You are probably thinking- ENOUGH WITH THE SOUPS ALREADY!! I get it, I totally do, but it has been for a good reason.
Ever since I moved to the UK, I haven’t had a working oven AND the current stove I have only has one working hob. I KNOW! So, believe me, I’m just as over soups as you are. I’m giddy as can be, though, because we are finally getting a cooker! All that needs to be done is to schedule installation! I never use exclamation marks and I’ve use three in just this paragraph! THAT is how excited I am.
Don’t take a break from soups just yet, though. Beans, spice, cilantro, lime… this soup is worth making.
This soup is a safe haven for any vegetable you have in the crisper, so don’t be afraid to throw in more veg. The beans and the chicken give us the protein that will keep you satisfied (making it a great one to take to work). And the avocado & spices add to it’s anti-inflammatory nature. Nutritionally, this soup has it all without having to compromise a bit on flavor.
20 minTotal Time
- 2 glugs cooking oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t chili
- 1 t coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- leftover rotisserie chicken
- 2 cans black eyes peas
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in chopped onion, celery and carrots and saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and warm until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in cumin, chili, coriander and bay, give a good stir and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add in rotisserie chicken,black eyes peas, crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes until all ingredients are warmed through and flavors marry.
- Serve with cilantro, sliced avocado, and squeeze of lime to top.